Sunday, October 9, 2011

installation art, questions, analysis, etc

1A. Installation art describes an artistic genre of three-dimensional works that are often site specific and designed to transform the perception of a space. Generally, the term is applied to interior spaces.  Installation art can be either temporary or permanent. Installation artworks have been constructed in exhibition spaces such as museums and galleries, as well as public and private spaces.


1B. The genre incorporates a large range of everyday and natural materials.


1C. Installation art is difficult to describe.  It is a mix of art, architecture, and interior type designing all put together to come up with a whole piece.


1D.  "The Driving Image" by Yayoi Kusama because it was unique and looked crazy with all of the dots put together.  Different color was used but the dots stayed consistent throughout this installation art.


2A.  I saw an installation work that made up a pyramid of oranges in the center of a room.  That helped inspire me for my idea for my own installation piece.  I went apple and pumpkin picking this weekend and wanted to incorporate that into my installation.


2B. I want to use materials from nature and the environment for my installation.


2C.  The materials I will use are the apples I picked at the orchard this weekend, a light green sheet to use as the blank background, and a old wooden table(I am using this to act as the floor since I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment and there is is no room to take up a whole room to create this art, even though I wish I had more space for it).


2D.  This installation is located inside my apartment.  I want the wooden table the apples are placed on to act like the floor.  I chose the sheet as a blank background because I wanted the focus to be on the apples themselves.





Ryan Malinowski
Apple Orchard
October 9th, 2011
Apples ranging from Empire, McIntosh, Crispin, Cortland, and Golden Deliciuous arranged on wooden flooring.  


The apples vary in proportion(small and large), color(green to red, and in between), shape, and have a certain texture to them as well as variety among them.


I want my installation to look like the apples are larger than their actual size.  If I had a whole room to work with, I feel that I could make this happen much easier.


Making an installation work is different because you are actually using the space in a room rather than a flat surface on a wall.  You have to plan a little differently and think about the surroundings/background much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment