Sunday, November 6, 2011

Creating my Own Mask

Three Inspirational Images for my Mask 
 Description-  This mask is quite simple looking.  The shapes are a little edgy and it has a rough type of look to it.
Formal Analysis-  Elements and Principles:  color- two shades of colors are used in this mask.  The design is symmetrical.  There is also some emphasis on the center of the mask between the eyes.

-I selected this mask because I enjoyed its simple look and it gave me some ideas on the shape of my mask.

 Description-  This mask is very old looking.  It has such an elaborate design around the perimeter of the whole mask.  It is very detailed.
Formal Analysis- The texture of this mask is smooth, yet it looks very aged as well.  There is emphasis on the face.  Circular shapes are used as the ears on this mask.

I chose this second mask because it was very detailed and the facial shapes and structure really stood out to me and I wanted to implement them in my mask design.

 Description-  This mask looks to be made of wood.  It looks very tribal as well.
Formal Analysis-  Color is used a lot in this mask.  The texture is smooth.  Emphasis- on the facial expression(lips, nose, eyes).

-From seeing this third mask, I was able to get a better understanding on how color was used in these masks. I took a few ideas and added them into my mask making process.

 Initial mask sketches, shapes, and ideas.

Analysis on my mask-
I decided for my mask that I wanted to make it more modern looking.  I used aluminum foil as my main material for this mask.  To support the back of it and make it more sturdy, I used cardboard which I cut out to support it.  I then started to design my mask's face with color, shape and added a 3-dimensional shape on the masks forehead to stand out.
The mask has multiple colors that are used as well as the shiny silver color that the aluminum shows already.
The texture of the mask is smooth, yet if you look closely, it is a little rough because of some wrinkles in the aluminum used.  Emphasis is put on the angry look of the mask's face.  The shape of the mask is oval, but there are some jagged triangles on the sides as well as a 3-D shape on top.  The mask fades from light to dark, depending on where the light hits it.


Conclusion:  After finishing my mask and adding support in the back to make it solid, I realized that there are so many different ways one can go about making one.  I just thought about using aluminum foil as my main material and went with that and I like the way it turned out.  I thought about the feelings I wanted my mask to give off as well.  I wanted my mask to have more of an angry vibe opposed to warm and happy.  Overall, I thought I learned a few new techniques and ideas by creating this mask.

No comments:

Post a Comment